'Tis the season for sick to swirl amongst the masses. With many family gatherings (and you have no idea what "many" is until you've met my peeps) and work parties, and boogery sniffling children at church who sneeze on the people in the pew in front of them - you have quite the chances of exposing yourself to utter plethoras of germy wonders. Why just last week, I got to hold a small actively barfing child. It's pretty much everywhere.
Must. Stop. The. Germs.
Well, I am not a doctor, although I pretty much pretend that I am, and in fact, at certain points in time I feel that I am at least 70% more awesomer (this grammatical structure is nearly proof of it RIGHT THERE) than doctors, so take my little plan of wonders however you want to take it.
But I digress.
Okay, so last week I was exposed to the boogery-est, most coughing in your face offsprings, and as I previously mentioned, as an extra bonus, I got to hold onto a barfing little. (Please mail all Awesome Mom Awards right this way.) I was pretty much bathing in germs, wearing them on my clothes, styling my hair with them, pushing them into my eyes and drinking them (tastes great with kombucha and chia seeds). Now it is okay to occasionally get sick, but it is not okay to get sick when you are supposed to have a weekend of double parties and host twenty something people in your eleven square foot house. You have to be legit healthy and halfway to crae crae with energy. I needed all of my faculties and then half of someone else's to pull this off. No sicky allowed!
What to do?
I pretty much went ballistic with every single immune boosting thing I could possibly think of. Let me share the list.
I started feeling the tickle thing in the back of my throat and then the weakness and the cold sweaty thing and I "oh no you didn't-ed" right over to my awesome non-pharmaceutical medicine cabinet and started with Cold Calm and a few squirts of Sovereign Silver. I popped Cold Calm every twenty minutes or so for two hours and I started feeling better - just in time for party #1 with the divas. I then proceeded to drink boiling water poured over chopped ginger, half a squeezed lemon, and a spoonful of raw honey (which probably wasn't "raw" anymore after I dunked it in that hot of water. Yeah.). Now you can't just waste that ginger, you gotta eat those spicy bits. Down the hatch. Luckily, my dear sweet friend made a turkey and she had roasted an entire bulb of garlic - so I threw a clove of that down the hatch too. Breath what?
The next day was filled with organic food sourced vitamin C, homemade chicken broth, more garlic, more ginger and a nap.
I was feeling better and better. I think I floated over and past the coughing, boogery wonders, and then the feeling in the stomach hit me.
No-no-no-no-no-no-no to the exponential infinity power. It was T-minus twenty hours until the party at my house. Stress + lack of sleep = lowered immune system = I am in trouble. I was not going to restore loads of energy because there were still a pile of things to do (um, throw self across the floor playing volleyball in a league full of uber-competitive players, for one) and clean the house. This. Cannot. Be. Happening. WhatamIgonnado?
Don't panic. Eat a pile of ginger, drink a giant bottle of Kevita coconut kefir, and alternate chugging down the kombucha. Basically, ingest every probiotic possible. And pray to God for help.
So far, I've made it out okay. If you ever are starting to feel sick, that is the time that you should boost your immunity, increase your probiotics, and consider it a serious job to get yourself some true nutrition (and see your food as serious instead of for fun - no sugar, just nutrient dense goodies).
Here's my quick cheat sheet for some suggestions to think about if you come across any of the common winter yucks.
- Sovereign silver squirts in the throat (Seriously? You don't have this yet? Run.)
- shots of organic apple cider vinegar (with water if ya' ain't manly enough to take it straight) - and then slam down your cup and make a breathy, growly, manly sound while squinting your eyes in a way that may or may not be considered dramatically necessary
- gargle a mixture of hot water, salt, and vinegar
- netipot (stainless steel preferred, let's not BPA the inside of your brains) in case you have nasal drainage, which affects your throat
- up the Vitamin C dose (>1000 mg/daily)
- no sugar in your diet until it's gone (don't give the bad guys bullets)
- netipot (mine is here )
- Sinu-orega nasal spray (HOLY COW this works.)
- sniff at eucalyptus and peppermint essential oils
- no sugar in your diet until it's gone
- homemade chicken broth with onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and celtic grey sea salt
- drink a mazillion ounces of kombucha (this is an approximate dosage)
- alternate with a bazillion ounces of coconut kefir (also approximate)
- chomp up some whole ginger bits
- avoid high fat/dairy or whatever else makes you feel worse
- Bieler broth (steamed green beans, zucchini, parsley and celery with the water it steamed in, dropped in a blender until it is green soup mush)
The best way to float over the sickies is to have a good immune system in the first place. Keep exercising, eating well, getting enough sleep (>8 hours per night), and having a positive attitude.
In no time at all, you'll be up for secretly (or overtly) racing the other people in the pool and on the sidewalks.
Peace, love, and have some more garlic,